I am sitting on my couch willing my back to heal quickly with biofreeze in one hand and Advil in another and am finding my running motivation to be waning. I know it’s all due to the pain in my back but I can’t help but be filled with running doubts. Will this back heal this week? Will it hurt again when I start running? Will I be able to run my half marathon on September 2nd? Will I ever run again?
Oh boy, I need to tone down the inner drama queen. But, in all seriousness, an injury can dampen my running spirits. Back in 2009, I hurt my quad about a month before my 1st marathon and it put me in the running emotional dumps. My quad ended up healing like 2 days before the marathon and I completed that 26.2 mile journey with zero pain. Those days leading up to the marathon were filled with dread and doubt but I had to find ways to keep up my running motivation. As my motivation is currently low, I am again searching for ways to keep my spirits up.
- I always find motivation and excitement in the latest issue of Runner’s World and Running Times.
- I am getting my Olympic track viewing on.
- I am browsing the Lululemon running collection and think I might just have to make an “i’m injured, feel sorry for me” purchase. Think the husband will mind?
- I might or might not be wearing my running clothes and shoes while out walking with Mr. L.
Umm, I am a running nerd so I totally am.
- I keep visiting race websites and tweaking my marathon training plan.
I am hoping that I will wake up tomorrow with no more back pain but I am also going to take my time letting it heal. Until it does, I’m going to try to keep my running spirits high.
Where do you find motivation? How do you keep yourself positive during an injury?August 7, 2012
This entry was posted in Random, Running, Uncategorized and tagged injury, marathon, motivation, race, run, runner's world, running, running times.