Asbury Park Relay Marathon Race Review
Last night’s workout – 60 minute elliptical
I ran the 2009 Asbury Park Relay Marathon and the 2010 race as well. In 2009, I ran as a team of one (did the full 26.2) and 2010, I ran as a relay with a friend. We used the 2010 race as our 20-22 mile NYC marathon training run. The Asbury Park Relay Marathon is put on by the New Jersey Road Runners Club and they always do an excellent job. The 2009 race was the inaugural year and it is run in October. October usually means perfect weather down at the Jersey Shore.
The marathon is still pretty small, I think they only had like 70 women running the full in 2009. Most people tend to run the relay. The good news about a small race is that you can pick up your packets on race morning, there is no corral system, no crowds at the start and you never have to leap frog over slower runners. The race also starts at 10am. 10am??? Yes, 10am. How awesome is that? You get to sleep in and still run a marathon. Starting at 10am makes it easier for those runners who are driving a long distance to get to the race.
The marathon is a loop course. 8 loops to be exact. You might think that it is boring, etc… Well, it can be, but on the other hand, it’s really nice. You get to go by the two aid stations a bunch of times, you get to see the ocean 8 different times, and you get to be cheered on by the spectators 8 different times. I find that alot of people run this race to get a BQ. The course does not have one hill on it but being on the ocean, it can be a little windy.
I will definitely be signing up for this race again this year. My friend and I are probably going to find some others to join us for a relay team.
Asbury Park Relay Marathon Pros:
- Flat, fast course
- Good race amenties – a shirt, a medal and a finishers hat!
- Aid stations are stocked with gels, candy, water, gatorade, pretzels, bananas galore
- It’s on the beach and the spectators are really energetic
Asbury Park Relay Marathon Cons:
- If you don’t like loop courses, this one isn’t for you. Well, unless you are going for a BQ then this is your race.
- October is dicey weather wise. It was windy and rainy in 2009 but beautiful and sunny in 2010
- In 2009, there were no post race snacks left for the full marathons. They totally remedied that situation in 2010. Even have a post race party!
The post-race party is held here…at the Wonder Bar!April 23, 2011
This entry was posted in Medals, Race Recaps, Running and tagged marathon, medal, race, race photos, race recap, random, run, running.